Friday, December 3, 2010

I just don't get it.

Call me a cynic if you must, but I confess I just do not understand some of these facebook and twitter memes. For example, the day when celebrities were not tweeting to bring attention to their charity of choice. How does silence bring awareness? Would their time not been better spent posting statistics regarding their charity or cause of choice? Would it not have raised more awareness to use that day to tweet about why they support their particular cause? I for one learned nothing about what any celebrity was supporting, so in my opinion that was a major fail in the raise awareness column.

And currently there is a meme going around facebook regarding changing your profile picture to a cartoon character to raise awareness for stopping violence towards children. How does changing my profile picture to a cartoon character raise awareness? What have I done to raise awareness? Who will become more aware of this tragedy by my changing my profile picture? I just do not understand.

Someone, please enlighten me. Because I'm obviously missing something.

4 comments:

Angela Miller said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! It makes no sense to me either. Everyone just follows suit. I don't think that people stop to think about what they are saying or doing and realize that it will make no difference.

NedaAnn said...

If I actually thought it would work and make a difference, I may possibly go along with it, but I just don't see how it helps. I felt the same way about the color of your bra meme for breast cancer awareness. It just didn't raise awareness in my opinion. To me it is just a modern chain letter.

Unknown said...

In fairness to your discussion it actually made me go and look at the NSPCC website to see if was a fake and then the group on FACEBOOK itself. Although not orginated by them they are happy to back it. As for raising awareness, it did with me and many others that I know and I gave a christmas donation. Does this answer what you're missing?

Why People? Why? said...

Perhaps anything that causes a a person to pause a moment and think and reflect is a good thing. I scoffed at it but all my friends started posting great memories and I finally wandered through my childhood to choose BarnYardDog. My participating didn't change the world but it did make me think about something I loved and it did cause me to realize I smiled because of participating. Childhood cartoons and child abuse are unrelated but before they started the chain I wasn't thinking about either. Now I am. It's odd but it worked.