Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Starting out from behind

Ever had one of those days that starts out with you playing catch up. Yep, that is the day I'm having today. Trinity crawled into our bed at 6 a.m., so I figured she was up for the day, but no she surprised us all by falling back to sleep until 8. We usually have to leave for school by 8:20. Can you see the dilemma? Yes, I should have woken her up, but I know she isn't napping at school and I wanted her to get some much needed sleep. I got up and got dressed and was ready to go before she finally woke up. She slowly gets downstairs where we proceed to disagree about breakfast. She wanted a whole apple and I wanted to cut it up, because the last 3 times she was given a whole apple we ended up throwing most of it away. Logic of wasting food and money seems lost on a tired 4 year old who isn't getting her way. *sigh* We agreed finally on Cheerios and an orange. I explained to her that we were running late, so she needed to eat quickly. Obviously that also means nothing to a 4 year old because she ate 4 bowls of Cheerios and mangled her orange. Breakfast is finally over and she is supposed to be washing her hands. This process, which most days I have to plead to be repeated because no one can get clean in 4 seconds, today takes 10 minutes. I admit I begged her to not argue with me about her clothes today and then we set to get dressed. I begged because yesterday there was a 20 minute standoff regarding her distaste for a certain pair of pants and I just didn't have a spare 20 minutes today. We are now dressed and she willingly put her shoes on without a fight and we are out the door. At this point I think there is hope it might take us less than 5 minutes to get into the truck - HA - I'm wrong again. The snow has melted, so we have to investigate the grass, the flower garden, the sidewalk for worms or new cracks, and of course the last remaining dirty disgusting snow must be examined in case there is any part that can be consumed. In the end we were 45 minutes late for school. Luckily nothing much was on the books this morning since I'm headed to a seminar out of town. I'm off to find coffee.

No comments: